The ramblings of things that make me…um, well…me.
Hipsters, it is nearing the end of 2012, which means one thing…yes, my Birthday is around the corner! 😉
Seriously, though, every year, I share my list of books read in the year in hopes maybe my friends and family may check out some books that they might not normally check out and read…and love!
This year is a little different, though, because I have this here blog thing (and the Hipster FB Page) in which I’ve been writing about the books I’ve been reading and pushing …er… suggesting them to all of you as different things have come up like freebies or other special deals. In this case, you all already know what I’ve been reading, right?
A week-ish ago on Facebook, someone *cough*Liz*cough* suggested that I should do a “Top 10…” list of my favorite books. Now, it may have been the drugs I was ingesting to get over the cold, but I thought that it was a brilliant idea!
First, I had to ask myself, “If someone were to ask me for a book recommendation right now, what would I tell them?” This was difficult. It obviously depends on the person asking, right? Not everyone is going to want to read the same books. Tastes vary.
To make my list, I looked through my list of books read in the last 4 years (including this year’s list…cause there are some good ones!) and narrowed it down to 20 books. This is where all of you may laugh, cause I’m quite the indecisive person. Narrowing it to 10 from 20 was not easy. But I did it…so here you go.
THE BOOK HIPSTER’S TOP 10 BOOK LIST
10 – MISERY by Stephen King
– Yes, Mr. King is my #10 pick…and weirdly enough a story about an author…and his #1 fan. *snicker* I read this when I was 12 years old. It was the first King book I ever had my hands on and from page one I was spellbound. Something about it just drew me in and I was never the same since. I’ve read a whole lot of King since then, but I always go back to Annie Wilkes and her creepy ways. I think I’ve even joked with a few of my friends that I’m their “#1 fan”…ha ha ha!!!
9 – THE HUNGER GAMES (Series) by Suzanne Collins
– Yes…this series is on my list. Wanna know why??? I read all 3 books in 3 days. I don’t care if you think they are lame or cheesy or a copy of another group of books/movies (Battle Royale)…these are excellent! If nothing else, you owe it to yourself to read the very first one and then decide from there, okay?
8 – BRIDGE TO TERABITHIA by Katherine Paterson
– Don’t adjust your screen…yes, I put a children’s book on my list. This book is the first real book that I felt connected to in ways I couldn’t even describe right now. My 4th grade homeroom teacher read this to our class and I wanted to read it again. And again. And again. The reasoning behind why this book was even written is quite fascinating too. Well, to me anyway. I even wrote to the author as a kid. Yes, there is a (not so great) movie of it too. And I own it. Yep. The Kidlet has seen the movie and knows what it is about. And I still own a copy of the book. It is sitting in one of my crafty bins waiting until I feel the Kidlet is ready to read it because I love it so much.
7 – HARRY POTTER (Series) by J K Rowling
– I know, I know…how cliche, right? Well, to be honest, I hadn’t read the books when they first came out because I thought they were just for kids. Then, my adult friends who had read the books were always raving about them and I was enjoying the movies, so I decided to check them out. At the time I was going to the laundromat every week to do all of our clothes (stupid apartment living!) and so I’d sit and read as I would wait for everything to wash and dry. I read all of the HP books while doing laundry. All of them. And loved every minute of it.
6 – THE KEY TO EVERYTHING by Alex Kimmell
– This is a newer addition to my “Have read” list. And it is absolutely freaking amazing! Remember #10 in this list (Stephen King)? Yeah…I’m about 99% positive this book creeped me out more than some of the Kings. I wrote a review of it HERE.
5 – THE TIME TRAVELER’S WIFE by Audrey Niffenegger
– Yes, I’m a girl. And I love some chic-lit. And I’ll be honest. I had only heard about the book when the movie was being released. The previews of the movie made me want to read the book. Pretty cool. So, before watching the movie (cause we all know how good book movies can be, right???) I went and grabbed the book. While it was confusing because of the “time travel” aspect of it. The story was so beautiful and it touched my girly heart.
4 – AMERICAN ON PURPOSE: THE IMPROBABLE ADVENTURES OF AN UNLIKELY PATRIOT by Craig Ferguson
– If you haven’t seen me mention it on the FB page before…I love Craig Ferguson. LOVE! I watch his show every night…well, on my DVR cause I can’t stay up that late all the time, but you get the idea. The man’s life story is amazing and incredible, so when I found out he wrote a memoir (and another book, but it isn’t listed on my Top 10…sorry Craig!) I knew that I had to read it. If I hadn’t loved him before, it sure made me love him that much more. His life’s story is not one to be missed. He goes through past relationships, his alcoholic and drug riddled life and also talks of his decision to end his life. Also, how it all changed up to current time (well, current as of when he wrote it, including his 3rd marriage and son…and becoming an American citizen). Oh, and I even have it as an Audio Book (did I ever mention I love accents too?). 😉
3 – JOE VAMPIRE (Series) by Steven Luna
– It should be no surprise to you at this point that this book would end up on this list. Right? Right. From the moment I read Joe, I loved it. While I’m not a vampire, I did however, connect with the sarcastic wit that he had and found myself quite entertained. Joe could be my best friend. Heck, I could be Joe. Maybe. Okay, maybe not. Still. As soon as I finished reading this book, I immediately was ready for a 2nd one. I wanted to know what was going to happen next. Now, here’s a little secret…this is a series. But as of me writing this, Joe 2 has yet to be released. It should be out by 2013 though…but I’ve read it. And it is awesomer than the first one. Just sayin’. Still not convinced HERE is my review of the original Joe.
2 – BILLY PURGATORY: I AM THE DEVIL BIRD (Series) by Jesse James Freeman
– Along with JOE VAMPIRE, you shouldn’t be surprised that this book is on my Top 10 list either. This book is not something that I originally thought I would like. And after deciding to read it, was so happy that I did. I love it! There are all sorts of fun and interesting things going on in these books (yes, books…I AM THE DEVIL BIRD is just the 1st one…the 2nd one is out now, and there is a 3rd in the works as we speak!). There are Vampires, and Time Zombies and Bikers and Skateboards and well, pretty much everything you can think of, basically. The story centers around Billy, obviously, and while he is a badass kid (later, adult), he still has that sensitive side that makes the ladies love him. These books are good and they’ll get your heart, which is why they are #2 on my list. Review of BOOK 1 and BOOK 2.
1 – OUTLANDER (Series) by Diana Gabaldon
– You probably haven’t seen me mention these books (yes, again…another Series…I can’t help it!) before, but that is okay. The first book (OUTLANDER) was written in 1991…I was 11…holy crap! Granted, I didn’t read it until I was 27 or 28, still…there are 7 books in the series so far and Mrs. Gabaldon (who is an AZ resident…there must be something in that AZ water…good writers!) is still working on Book 8 as we speak. I read book 7…2 years ago. I’ve never waited this long for a book…ever. And I’ll grab it the second I can too. That is how much I love these books. They have time travel (I’m seeing another theme here that I like…) and romance…and Scottish accents!!! There is some history wrapped inside too. Other than to say over and over again “It is awesome!” I cannot think of anything else to say that would make you go read these books. Fair warning…they are huge! I think the smallest one so far is 750-ish pages. The SMALLEST. There is also a graphic novel which is the 1st book retold from a different point of view, which was pretty sweet. And the…um…drawings (is that the word I want?) were amazing! Also, there is a spin-off series with the character ‘Lord John’. I have yet to delve into that series. Maybe once Book 8 comes out and I’ve devoured that. 😉
So, Hipsters, there you go. I guess you could consider this my official list, right? If you want more ideas, go to my FB Page, “like” it and then click on the “Book Recommendation” photo album. There you will find previous year’s book lists and photos of covers of all the books I’ve read this year! And of course, if you ever have a question about any of the books you see here on the blog or listed on the FB page, you can drop me a line and I’ll answer you the best I can. 🙂
Now here is where I ask YOUR help! I’m always looking for new books to read (like my “to read” list isn’t long enough, right???) Any books out there that you think I should get my mitts on and dig into? Put them in a comment here and they may end up on my list of books read for 2013.